Get a Travel Cash Advance

Cash advances are intended to cover ground transportation, lodging, meals, incidentals and other expenses directly related to the travel activity.

Cash Advances for UC Berkeley Employees with a US Bank Corporate Travel Card

UC Berkeley employees can obtain cash advances for business travel by using their US Bank Corporate Travel Card at any automatic teller machine (ATM) displaying the “PLUS” network symbol. You will need your PIN number to do this. If you do not know your PIN, contact US Bank at 800-285-8585.

Limits: Travelers are generally limited to three (3) withdrawals per day up to a maximum of $1,000 in a 24-hour period.

Foreign Currency: If your foreign destination does not have a “PLUS” network, you can go to any bank and charge the local currency to your card. If you need assistance identifying a foreign location, contact US Bank Visa customer service at 800-285-8585.

Cash Advance Fees: US Bank Visa charges a 2.5% fee for ATM cash advance transactions with a minimum of $2 and a maximum of $10. These fees and any fees charged by an ATM are reimbursable and can be claimed on your Travel Expense Reimbursement Report after your trip.

Cash Advances for UC Berkeley Employees without a US Bank Corporate Travel Card

If needed, employees can obtain a cash advance from the Accounts Payable Office. Cash advances processed through Accounts Payable require additional handling and reporting, so it’s best to use this resource only as a last option.

A traveler may not have more than one outstanding cash advance per trip at any given time.

A cash advance may not be issued more than 30 days before the start of the trip, and you’ll want to be sure to allow at least a week for processing. So, don’t submit the request too early or too late.

To request a cash advance:

  1. Log in to Bear Buy, select ‘forms’ and ‘Payment Request Form’
  2. Complete the information requested about the payee, amount
  3. For ‘Activity Type’ select ‘Other Payments to Individuals’
  4. Under ‘Internal Attachments,’ attach a pdf of the completed Travel Advance Request Form (PDF)
  5. In the upper right, select ‘Add and go to Cart’ and then ‘Go’
  6. Complete the org node information and select ‘Submit’

A Travel Expense Reimbursement Report must be submitted within 45 days after returning from the trip, whether or not a reimbursement is due to the traveler. Any unused cash advance funds must be returned at that time. Cash advances that are not substantiated within 120 days after the end of a trip will be charged to the campus department and reported as additional wages to the employee.

Cash Advances for Non-employees

Generally, cash advances are not issued to non-employees, though advances may be made to students if warranted. A Berkeley employee must submit a BearBuy Payment Request Form attaching the Travel Advance Request Form for processing by Accounts Payable.

  • Travel must comply with UCOP Policy G-28, Regulations Governing Travel.
  • The campus department authorizing the cash advance must ensure that a Travel Expense Report is submitted by the traveler at the conclusion of the trip and that any unused cash advance funds are promptly returned.