Meal Expenses: Tell me more about Actual vs Per Diem?

UC Policy allows for the use of per diems when traveling to international or off shore US (Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, and possessions of the United States) destinations. Per diems are also permitted for domestic travel of 30 or more consecutive days. However, each department head has the authority to be more restrictive.  Please check with your DFL to confirm that per diems are allowed within your respective school or department.

For domestic travel under 30 days, only actual expenses are reimbursed up to the policy limits, per diems are not allowable.