What is TSA PreCheck?
TSA PreCheck is an expedited screening program that enables identified low-risk air travelers to enjoy a smart and efficient screening experience. For TSA PreCheck travelers, there is no need to remove shoes, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops, light outerwear, or belts. Today, TSA PreCheck has more than 450 lanes at 200+ U.S. airports.
Once approved, travelers will receive a “Known Traveler Number” (which needs to be added to a traveler’s airline profile and reservations) and will have the opportunity to utilize TSA PreCheck lanes at select security checkpoints when flying on the TSA PreCheck Participating Airlines.
Who Can Apply for TSA PreCheck?
TSA PreCheck applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents. Applicants need to complete the online enrollment information and follow the steps below as soon as possible to take advantage of the on-campus appointment dates. The on-campus appointments are open to UC Berkeley faculty, staff, students and their families. Each applicant must have his or her own appointment and attend the appointment in person.
Dates and Times
On-Campus Interview Dates
- Monday, November 6 through Thursday, November 9, 2023
- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily
- There are no appointments between 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
- All appointments at this time are reserved but walk-ins are allowed - please refer to the following section 'Instructions for Scheduling an On-Campus Walk-In Interview'
- Recreational Sports Facility (2301 Bancroft Way), Room 42
Instructions for Scheduling an On-Campus Walk-In Interview
- Open the link to the TSA PreCheck enrollment page
- Choose "New Enrollment"
- Provide the applicant information at each step and choose "Next" at the bottom of each screen
- For an on-campus appointment, type in the location code "SP-UCB" in the "Zip Code/City/Airport Code" search box
- Choose location "Berkeley, CA - Pop-Up: University of CA" and then choose "Next"
- A message will display that reads "all appointments have been booked"
- Check the "Walk-In" box and then click the "Submit" button
Please be prepared for a wait of up to 45 minutes. The individual in charge of appointments will do their best to fit you in between existing appointments. In the past, all walk-ins have been accommodated wherever possible. Please keep in mind there are no appointments between 12:00 and 1:00.
To complete the application process, you will need to bring documentation proving identity and citizenship status (such as a U.S. Passport or a birth certificate and a driver's license) to your in-person interview. If you have a valid U.S. passport, that is all you need for ID.
The enrollment is completed on-site where IDEMIA captures fingerprints and a digital photo for a background check. At the enrollment appointment is also when the $78 application for five years of service is collected. This is a personal expense not reimbursable by the university. The fee can be paid by credit card, money order, company check, or certified cashier's check.
Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Eligible credit card holders may receive a credit for the application fee.
Please note that payment for new TSA PreCheck enrollments is only accepted at the time of the on-site appointment. Multiple companies unnecessarily charge customers to assist with scheduling appointments. We are not affiliated with them, and their fees do not apply to the enrollment fee paid at the appointment.
Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.