Frequently Asked Questions

Watch the video - Benefits of Connexxus

A video is available that describes the advantages of using the Connexxus travel portal over other discount travel sites. See Benefits of Using Connexxus (6:25)

Am I required to use Connexxus?

No, using Connexxus is not required, though the majority of UC Berkeley’s travel is arranged through the system. UC strongly encourages using Connexxus. The benefits include:

  • Helping travelers and administrative staff save time, cost, and gain efficiency
  • Supporting UC in leveraging our collective travel to get the best possible value, services, and discounts
  • Automatic enrollment in UC’s travel insurance program
Are Connexxus rates more competitive than those I can get from booking directly or shopping online?

Connexxus rates are as good or better when comparing prices at the same time for the same travel arrangements. Connexxus keeps travel costs contained by providing a wide range of booking options for airfare, car and hotel at discounted rates.

Can I use my personal credit card when making reservations through Connexxus?

Yes. You may use your personal card. 

May I book Southwest Wanna Get Away fares through a Connexxus travel agency?

The travel agencies can assist you with a Southwest reservation and accept a Direct Bill ID as payment. However, the Wanna Get Away fares are not available through agency reservations. To book a Wanna Get Away fare, use Southwest’s SWABIZ in Connexxus and pay with your personal credit card.

How do I contact a Connexxus travel agency?

Complete contact information is available by logging in to Connexxus. Be aware that reservations made via telephone are subject to higher transaction fees.

BCD Travel
Phone within US: 877-885-8632
Phone outside US: 818-238-4445
Email: or

UC Travel Center

Phone: 800-235-8252

Southwest SWABIZ
Phone: 800-435-9792

Why can’t I log in to Connexxus?

Only UC Berkeley faculty and staff in authorized title codes can access Connexxus and Direct Bill. You can see the list of titles granted access to Connexxus/Direct Bill (PDF).

If a UC Berkeley employee is not in a qualified title code but needs access to Connexxus and Direct Bill, request access via the System Access Request Application (SARA) as a Travel Preparer. Once approved, the employee will be granted access to Connexxus and Direct Bill within 1 business day.  Individuals who are not UC Berkeley employees (i.e., contractors, consultants, temp agency employees, students) may not be given access to Connexxus or Direct Bill.

All users must:

Please allow 48 hours for the system to build a valid profile.

Travelers not eligible for access to Connexxus and Direct Bill should coordinate with an eligible campus employee to make guest traveler arrangements on their behalf.

Please report access problems to

I’m a frequent traveler. Is it possible to save my information to a profile to make the booking process more efficient?

Basic UC Berkeley directory information is sent to Connexxus on a daily basis.

If booking through BCD Travel, go to Connexxus and use the Connexxus profile to edit your profile.

UC Travel Center previously used this same Connexxus profile, but a system change resulted in travelers needing to update their profile in the UC Travel Center directly. To get there, go to the UC Travel Center and select Book Now > Profile.

Both systems allow travelers to edit their profiles to include:

  • Emergency contacts
  • Loyalty membership / frequent flyer numbers
  • Authorized travel ‘arrangers’
  • Passport/Visa information
Where can I find the FAQ page in Connexxus?

You can view the Connexxus FAQ page at: once you've logged in. Check these FAQs for additional guidance when making travel arrangements using Connexxus. 

Watch the video - How to Create a Direct Bill ID

A video is available that demonstrates how to use Direct Bill to charge the university for your business-related airfare. See How to Create Direct Bill ID (6:36)

How often can I use my DBID?

If the trip includes hotel or car rental, you will need a personal credit card or the corporate travel card to pay for those expenses.

The DBID should only be used once. When the expense is received from the travel agency, the DBID is marked complete in the tracking system.  If the DBID is re-used for a subsequent trip, it creates manual reconciliation work.

How to view a previously issued Direct Bill ID:

To see previously issued DBIDs, log-in to the Direct Bill Travel system, select Departmental Functions > Manage Direct Bill IDs.

How to create a Direct Bill ID:

Step-by-step instructions are available once you log in to the system.

Log into Direct Bill ID System.

What do you need to create a Direct Bill ID?

To create a Direct Bill ID, be prepared with:

  • An active CalNet ID
  • The business purpose for the trip
  • A complete profile listing in the campus directory, which must include your work email, phone number and address
  • Traveler’s name as it will appear on the airline ticket
  • Expected travel dates
  • Travel destination
  • Complete chartstring(s) or speedtype(s) of where the cost of the airline ticket should be charged (ensure the travel complies with any funding restrictions)
Where is a DBID accepted?

The University’s two contracted travel agencies, BCD Travel and UC Travel Center, can accept a Direct Bill ID to charge airfare to UC Berkeley. Both are full service agencies with dedicated agents who can handle nearly all travel needs. You will be prompted to provide the DBID during the online booking process or when speaking with the travel agent. Contact and service fee information for the travel agencies is available through UC’s booking portal, Connexxus. 

Why create a Direct Bill?

Airfare is often purchased several months in advance of a trip. Using a DBID instead of a personal credit card to purchase airline tickets eliminates the need for travelers to pay out of pocket for the airfare and wait until the trip is concluded before receiving reimbursement. 

What is a Direct Bill ID?

A Direct Bill ID (DBID) allows you to charge the purchase of business-related airfare directly to the University.  The DBID is a unique code issued by the DBID system and associated with a particular trip.  When making travel reservations using one of UC’s travel agencies, provide the DBID code so that your airfare costs are charged to your campus funding source chartstring. 

Who can create a Direct Bill?

Access to the Direct Bill Travel site is limited to staff and faculty in selected job titles.  Employees, students or hosted guests who do not have access to the system but who have a need to travel on University business may work with their department to create a DBID on their behalf. 

Why do I need a business purpose?

The IRS requires sufficient records to document that the expenses for which the university is paying are related to a legitimate activity from which the university will benefit. A good statement of business purpose for the trip will answer who, what, when, where and why. Just saying ‘research,’ ‘attend conference’ or ‘donor meeting’ is usually not sufficient. Travelers may also be asked to provide a business justification for particular expenses.

When are trip expense reports / reimbursement requests due?

Per UC policy, expense reports must be submitted within 45 days after the end of the trip. When a trip lasts more than 90 days, a quarterly report is required. Payments of reimbursement requests submitted after 45 days may be reported as taxable income or may not be paid at all, considering the circumstances and funding sources. A trip expense report must be submitted even if no reimbursement is due the traveler (i.e., when the only expense is direct billed airfare).

When do I need a receipt?

Receipts are required for registration fees, airfare, lodging, and car rental expenses regardless of the amount. Approvers will review the receipts to ensure that it was actually the traveler who paid for the expense and that non-business related charges (i.e., hotel spa services, child car seat rental, etc.) are not included. Receipts are also required for any expense of $75 or more. Auditors expect to see receipts to support the payment of a business expense; if a payment is not proven to be business related, it may be disallowed and, as a result, taxable. It is always in the traveler’s best interest to keep records of expenses incurred and reimbursed.

Is a credit card statement an acceptable receipt?

A valid receipt will show specifics about the purchase – what was purchased, when, where, the amount, and proof of payment. Generally, the person making the purchase possesses the receipt, which substantiates who should be reimbursed. For airfare, hotel and car rental, a detailed receipt is required, (duplicate receipts can usually be obtained from the merchant) though a credit card statement may be requested as evidence of who paid for the expense. A receipt is also needed for conference registration fees and when any single expense is more than $75. If a detailed receipt is not available for these types of expenses, but the traveler’s credit card statement documents the purchase, the traveler should provide a copy of the credit card statement as proof of payment along with a written explanation in lieu of a receipt citing what was purchased, when, where, and why a receipt cannot be provided.  

Who can approve an exception?

Exceptions are rare and could introduce risks to other aspects of the travel program. Only individuals with the delegated authority may consider and grant exceptions.

Which states are banned from using California state funding sources?
Can I be reimbursed for extra fees charged by airlines?

It’s hard to keep up with all of the ancillary fees charged by airlines these days. In general, if the service obtained with the extra fee is considered ordinary and necessary to meet a business need, then paying the fee is permitted. A business justification should be noted on the expense report. Examples: Extra baggage for research supplies; seat assignment to ensure boarding; on-board internet for connectivity to work emails; change fees for a later flight because a meeting ran late.

I enjoy the amenities that come with a business-class or first-class seat. Will I be reimbursed if I purchase a higher-class ticket?

In keeping with UC’s policy to travel by the most reasonable and economical means, purchasing a business-class or first-class seat instead of coach/economy is usually not permitted. If you choose to purchase a higher-class seat, you should document the price for coach-class and expect to pay for the upgrade using personal funds. Policy does allow for some special circumstances that must be explained for reimbursement. Exceptions will require additional justification and approval.

  • Note: With the increasingly complex classification of fare levels by airlines, it may difficult to determine what tickets are higher-class. As a general rule, if the airline labels the seat class with any variation of ‘coach’ or ‘economy’ (i.e., Premium Economy; Economy Plus) it will be permitted for reimbursement. 
Can I rent an intermediate size car? Economy size is too small.

Yes. University policy permits renting up to an intermediate size car. If a bigger vehicle can be reserved for the same price or you receive a free upgrade, provide that explanation in your reimbursement request. If circumstances require a larger vehicle, provide the business purpose. Example: I rented a full size car to accommodate seating and luggage for myself and three colleagues, Prof. Jones, Prof. Lee, and Director Smith. 

Can I use a shuttle service to the airport?

The general rule is that travelers should use the most reasonable method of transportation given the circumstances. Consider the cost of a shuttle service when compared to alternatives, such as taking a taxi or ride-share or driving a personal car and parking. Public transportation (i.e., BART, bus) may or may not be a reasonable option when factoring the cost against convenience or travel time. Determining the most reasonable method of transportation is up to the traveler and the approver. If costs appear excessive or extravagant, the reimbursement request must include the business-related justification.

I am attending a two-day conference in San Francisco. Can I be reimbursed for a hotel room to save commuting from my home in Berkeley? I will spend the evening hours networking with colleagues.

While it may save time, UC policy is to reimburse only when the location is more than 40 miles from the traveler’s home or place of work, unless the overnight stay is required by the employer (i.e., an event coordinator must be onsite for late night and early morning set-up).

Can I book a bundled travel package?

Often these ‘deals’ appear to be a cost savings. However, the documentation and receipts typically do not itemize what is included in the purchase price, so the ‘receipts’ are insufficient per IRS rules for substantiating the business-related nature of what is being paid for. Unless the traveler confirms with the package provider that an itemized receipt for all included expenses (airfare, hotel, car rental, etc.) will be provided, it is best to avoid purchasing a package. Insufficient documentation could result in denial of reimbursement.

What is the maximum I can spend for meals and lodging?

As good stewards of the university’s limited resources, travelers usually are looking to spend the least amount possible. However, circumstances may arise when the traveler is concerned about exceeding a maximum – crossing a line between reasonable and extravagant. The travel policy establishes daily expense maximums based on the US Department of State’s per diem rates for a particular destination. Further limitations may be applied by funding sources or departmental budgets. Exceptions may be considered with justification, but should not be presumed. Different limits apply to trips lasting more than 30 days.


Maximum Meals & Incidentals

Maximum Lodging

Continental US – 25 hours to 30 days

$62 per day

$275 per day (excluding taxes and fees)

International and off-shore US

State Dept rate

Up to 300% of State Dept rate

I’m going to be on travel status less than 24 hours. Which expenses are eligible for reimbursement?

Generally, transportation costs to and from the event will be paid. This includes airfare, rental car, personal car mileage, tolls, and parking. Meals are not reimbursed unless there is a need for an overnight stay. Example: You take the 9:00am flight from Oakland to Orange County for an early afternoon meeting. You plan to return that same day, but all flights are canceled. You catch the first flight out of Orange County the next morning, returning home at 7:00am. Your trip was less than 24 hours, but because of the overnight stay, meals may be reimbursed.

Can I use emerging market services like Uber, Lyft, AirBnB?

There is no policy prohibiting the use of alternative providers. The traveler is expected to give full consideration to the costs of these services as compared to more traditional providers. If the costs are out of line with ordinary and customary comparables, the traveler may be expected to provide a business justification or be reimbursed based on the lower cost alternative.

I prefer to drive rather than fly. Will I be reimbursed for the mileage?

If most people would drive the distance, then you may claim mileage with no further explanation. However, if most people would fly and you are choosing to drive for personal reasons (i.e., sightseeing, stopping off to visit friends, taking family along, etc.), you should expect to be reimbursed the lesser of mileage based on the most direct route or an amount equal to the cost of flying coach/economy with advance booking. If you are driving for business reasons (i.e., transporting large boxes of research equipment), then provide a written statement explaining the circumstances. The basic expectation is that you will get to your business destination using the most economical and reasonable method.

Can I be reimbursed for extra fees charged by hotels?

The university will reimburse you for mandatory fees assessed by hotels, such as a resort fee or charge for valet parking. An explanation that the fee was not discretionary should be included on the expense report.

I am going on a trip for business purposes, but would like to include some personal time while I’m there. What are the guidelines for combining business and personal travel?

a)      It is expected that university travelers can judge when they are on business and when they are on personal time and that they will claim expenses in an honest and ethical manner.

b)      When booking flights, document the cost of airfare as if you were just going for business and the cost for the extended time.  You should claim reimbursement for the lesser of the two.

c)       If any personal time is included, you may not charge the airfare to the university using a Direct Bill ID. You must purchase the tickets using personal funds and request reimbursement, if applicable.

d)      If traveling within the U.S. and the purpose of the trip is business, but you take a side trip for pleasure, you may not be reimbursed for any expenses related to the side trip or the extended stay.  If the trip is primarily personal (for example, you’re on vacation) but you attend to business while at the location, you can claim any expenses related to the business, but you cannot be reimbursed for transportation to the location.

e)      When traveling internationally, a trip must meet one of the following tests in order to be defined as entirely business:

a. The traveler did not have control over arranging the trip
b. Vacation was not a major consideration
c. Travel was outside the U.S. seven consecutive days or less
d. If more than seven days, less than 25% time was spent on personal activities.
f. If the trip is ‘primarily personal,’ airfare/transportation will not be reimbursed.  Only expenses for days when business was conducted will be paid.

f)       If family members are traveling with you, document and claim the cost for car rental, lodging, and meals as if you were traveling alone.  The university will not pay for any incremental costs associated with personal traveling companions. (Note: Different rules apply for moving/relocation)

g)      Airport parking will be paid only for business-related days.

h)      If taking a side trip for personal activities, document and claim the costs for the direct route related to the business purpose of the trip.

Where can I see the IRS guidelines and the University of California policy?

IRS Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses

University of California Policy G-28, Travel Regulations