Reimbursement for Travel Expenses


Travelers on university business typically pay for some of the expenses out of their own pocket and seek reimbursement after the trip is over.

It is a good idea to keep detailed records of what you spend money on and obtain a receipt whenever possible.

Within 45 days after returning home, you must file an expense report to document the business purpose of the trip and the full amount of the cost. The expense report often includes a request for reimbursement.

The traveler is the best person to provide trip expense information. They know what locations they visited, what transportation they took to get there, where they stayed, what meals they ate, etc. This is the type of detail that is needed to capture business-related travel expenses.

Employees can submit a travel expense report via the Reimbursement System. Once a report is submitted, employees can track the status of a reimbursement request directly in the system.

Guests and students should contact their department for assistance.

Please refer to the Documentation and Receipts page for more information about what receipts and back-up records you will need to submit.

Reimbursement Tips

  • A travel expense report is not required when the only expense is direct bill or third party expenses
  • Giving details to tell the story of how you spent the money will reduce the need for follow-up questions
  • Receipts are needed for airfare, car rental, conference registration, and domestic lodging, regardless of the amount
  • You do not need to submit receipts for meals and miscellaneous if the amount is under $75