Reimbursement for Private Automobile Mileage

Travelers may use their private vehicle for business purposes if it is less expensive than alternatives (i.e., rental car, taxi) or if it saves time. The university will reimburse mileage up to the maximum amount allowed by the IRS.

Reimbursement Rates

The following rates are effective for expenses incurred on or after January 1, 2024:

  • The reimbursement rate for the use of a private automobile for university business travel is 67 cents a mile
  • The reimbursement rate for driving an automobile in connection with a move or relocation is 21 cents a mile
    • Reimbursements for moving-related expenses, including mileage, are considered taxable wage income after January 1, 2018

Requesting Reimbursement

Travelers are expected to take the most direct route to their destination.

To determine the number of miles traveled, we recommend using Google Maps or MapQuest rather than your odometer. You do not need to submit a printout with your travel expense report, unless requested by your travel approver or funding source. Enter the total number of miles on the travel expense report. The number of miles claimed is expected to be for the most direct route, even if you took a scenic path.

Additional reimbursement for gas, oil, wear-and-tear, roadside assistance, etc. is not permitted.

Tolls and parking fees may be reimbursed. Receipts are required if the expense is $75 or more.

Please note: If the vehicle has been modified to accommodate a physical disability and the actual operating costs are higher than the standard mileage rate (use IRS Form 2106 for calculation), include the following certification with your reimbursement request:

"I certify that the actual cost of operating the vehicle was equal to or greater than the rate claimed. I will maintain substantiating records of the fixed and variable costs of operating my automobile in support of this claim in the manner and for the period prescribed by law."