Guidelines and Requirements for International Travel

Trip Registration

Trip registration is required for all university-related foreign travel, regardless of State Department Travel Advisory Level or travel purpose.

UC Travel booked via ConnexUC is automatically registered, or register manually via UCAway. For further details, please refer to Registering UC Travel.

If an emergency occurs in your travel destination, this is how Berkeley Risk Services will know you are there. Travel registration also enrolls you to receive travel alerts from UC’s security provider, Crisis24. For further details, please refer to Partnership with Crisis24.

Decorative separator line


Pre-approval is required for the following types of international travel:

State Department Level 4 and 'Do Not Travel' Destinations

All university-related travel to U.S. Department of State (DOS) Level 4 travel advisory (i.e., Do Not Travel) destinations listed on the Travel Advisories page requires a 2-step approval process, first from their Dean and then from the Vice Provost for Academic Planning. 'Do not travel' is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks.

For further details, please refer to International Travel Protocol for State Department Level 4 / 'Do Not Travel' destinations, or contact with questions.

Study Abroad or Group Student Travel for Coursework or Credit

Regardless of CDC or State Department Advisory Level, all study abroad and international group student travel for Berkeley coursework or credit must be reviewed by Berkeley Study abroad.

For further details, please refer to Study Abroad and International Group Student Travel Protocol, or contact with questions.

Decorative separator line

U.S. Export and Sanctions Regulations

University members (including employees, staff, faculty, and students) are required to comply with United States export and sanctions regulations when traveling abroad with UC commodities, software, and technology.

University community members should not engage in international travel, research, or collaborations until a determination of whether the activities are exempt from export control licensing or a license is obtained. Please refer to Export Control: International Travel for complete guidelines, or contact the Export Control Office for more information.

Decorative separator line

Financial, Health, and Safety Risks

It is the responsibility of the traveler and approving department to ensure the financial, health, and safety risks associated with international travel are assessed before authorizing travel.

Travelers should exercise particular caution about traveling to destinations that are restricted to US Government personnel listed on the Travel Advisories page. Please contact with questions about specific destinations.

Decorative separator line