How to Get Reimbursed

How to Get ReimbursedDocumentation and Receipts

Travelers on university business typically pay for some of the expenses out of their own pocket and seek reimbursement after the trip is over.

It’s a good idea to keep detailed records of what you spend money on and obtain a receipt whenever possible.

Within 45 days after returning home, you must file an expense report to document the business purpose of the trip and the full amount of the cost. The expense report often includes a request for reimbursement.

The traveler is the best person to provide trip expense information. They know what locations they visited, what transportation they took to get there, where they stayed, what meals they ate, etc. This is the type of detail that is needed to capture business-related travel expenses.

Employees can submit a travel expense report by logging in to the travel reimbursement system. Once a report is submitted, employees can track the status of a reimbursement request directly in the system.

Guests and students should contact their department for assistance.

See the Documentation and Receipts page for more information about what receipts and back-up records you’ll need to submit.

Reimbursement Tips

  • You still need to submit the travel expense report even if no money is due to you (costs were paid by direct bill, travel advance, or third-party)
  • Giving details to tell the story of how you spent the money will reduce the need for follow-up questions
  • Receipts are needed for airfare, car rental, conference registration and domestic lodging, regardless of amount
  • You don’t need to submit receipts for meals and miscellaneous if under $75
  • You can track the status of your travel reimbursement request

Travel Forms Direct Enter Expense Report and Request Reimbursement

Direct Enter 

Direct Enter - Learn more about the direct enter process.

How-To Guide - Step-by-step instructions.

Travel & Reimbursement System - Launch system to enter and submit an expense report.

Common Questions from Direct Entry Travelers 

BearBuy Report Prepared by CSS

Travel Forms - Used to provide trip information to report preparer. This link goes directly to the Campus Shared Services website.

BearBuy - Launch BearBuy to prepare a CSS Non-Purchase Request form for travel and entertainment expense reimbursements.

 Department Specific Instructions


Intercollegiate Athletics - Contact the IA Business Office

The Library